Visiting Professor Programme
Visiting Professor Programme
The Bavarian State Ministry of Science and the Arts provides FAU with annual funding with the aim of attracting international researchers as visiting professors for a limited period of time. This is intended to allow short-term research projects to be carried out and to make teaching more international. Ideally, the visiting professor should be involved in both research and teaching.
From 2022 onwards, non-academic internationals from the professional world can also be invited as part of the objective of the Visiting Professor Programme.
All FAU professors are eligible to submit applications. It is not possible for the international guest to apply directly. We are not able to provide funding if funding is already being provided via other programmes (Erasmus contracts or the like). Funding is not available for international guests who are based purely at Universitätsklinikum.
Activities eligible for funding
Both on campus and digital projects are eligible for funding:
- Offering complementary teaching (presentation, block seminar/seminar, workshop, lecture)
- Preparing applications for third-party funding and paving the way for joint teaching and research activities and collaboration
- Developing/expanding existing teaching and research collaborations
- Speaking at an academic exchange forum (conference, workshop etc.)
Already approved on campus stays can be converted into digital formats under consideration of the funding regulations.
International guests are funded for up to 20 working days during the funding period of 1 January 2023 to 30 November 2023. Working days after 30 November 2023 are not eligible for funding. The same applies to public holidays and weekends (exception: seminars or lectures are taking place).
Funds not spent in the funding period cannot be carried forward to the next year.
Funding for on campus projects
Working days are taken as the basis for calculating the amount of funding due for on-campus projects, not the number of days spent in Germany. Lump sums are approved in accordance with the relevant EU funding rates:
- Lump sums for travel expenses: Depending on the distance one-way between the point of departure and destination (EU distance calculator):
10 to 99 km: 23 euros
100 to 499 km: 180 euros
500 to 1,999 km: 275 euros
2,000 to 2,999 km: 360 euros
3,000 to 3,999 km: 530 euros
4,000 to 7,999 km: 820 euros
8,000 km and more: 1,500 euros
- Daily rate for time spent working at FAU: 160 euros per working day
Funding for digital projects
For digital projects, funding of 80 euros per hour (60 minutes) is provided up to a maximum amount of 800 euros.
Only digital events which can be tracked (e.g. courses, speaker contributions in conferences, etc.) will be funded.
There is one round of applications with the following deadline:
- 1 March 2023
Activities that have already taken place in the first quarter of the year can still be funded retroactively.
Necessary application documents:
- Application form (please find the form below)
- CV of your international guest (5 pages max)
- Photograph of your guest in good resolution (at least 500×500 px)
The complete application documents must be submitted in due time to:
- Faculty of Humanities Social Sciences, and Theology: International Office
- Faculty of Business, Economics, and Law (School of Business, Economics and Society): International Relations Office
- Faculty of Business, Economics, and Law (School of Law): Department Administration Law
- Faculty of Medicine: Research Officer
- Faculty of Sciences: Coordinator for Research and Internationalisation
- Faculty of Engineering: Internationalisation Office
The faculties clearly prioritise the applications on the basis of the following criteria, with on campus projects taking precedence over digital projects:
- Quality of the project and strategic importance for the faculty or the school
- Reputation of the guest
- Contribution towards the internationalisation of FAU
- Added value of complementary teaching for FAU students and young researchers
- Long-term suitability of planned activities
The committee at the Commission for Internationalisation decides on funding. The decision on the allocation of funds will be announced at the end of March. At this time, only a preliminary approval from the Ministry for half of the previous year’s funding is available, so part of the applications can only be approved with reservations. The final allocation of funds is usually available at the beginning of May.
Transfer of funds
Once the applications have been approved, the chair must contact the Central Office for International Affairs in order to arrange the transfer of the funding. All funding must be retrieved by 30 November. Later disbursement is not possible.
The Central Office for International Affairs can only transfer the funding to the chair, not directly to the international guest. The chair is responsible for ensuring that the full amount of funding is then paid to their guest. If the chair has paid in advance for travel and/or accommodation costs for the guest, these expenses may be deducted from the amount paid to the guest.
Upon completion of the funded activity, and no later than 30 November, please submit the following documents to the Central Office for International Affairs (please find the forms below):
- Confirmation of receipt of the funding amount, signed by the guest
- Brief report on outcome of funded activity on corresponding report form
The report is a requirement if you wish to be eligible for further funding in the future.
|Visiting professor programme||File size|
|Visiting Professor Programme Report.pdf||676 KB|
|Visiting Professor Programme Confirmation of receipt.pdf||650 KB|
|Visiting Professor Programme Application.pdf||675 KB|