FAUcard for staff
The multifunctional smartcard at FAU
Here you can find out all you need to know about the FAUcard: what you can use it for, which data is saved on the card, how you can enter your period of employment on the card and what you need to do if you lose the FAUcard and would like to have a new one issued.
If you have any questions or problems please contact the FAUcard Service Office, either by e-mail, by phone, or in person.
At the current time, it is not possible to pay by cash at the Payment Office. Please transfer the 15 euros due for ordering a replacement card (account data on the right).
Recording work hours
You need your FAUcard to log your work hours if where you work uses the AIDA time tracking system.
Before your chip ID can be recognised by the time tracking system, you have to let the person responsible for the time tracking system where you work know what your chip ID is. Your boss will be able to tell you who is responsible. The chip ID is on the back of your FAUcard.
The FAUcard acts as an electronic key for the locking systems used in buildings, rooms and car parks. The electronic access control system used at FAU is called SIPORT and is managed by our colleagues in the Office of Electrical Systems (G3).
Cashless payment: student cafeterias, restaurants, vending machines
You can use your FAUcard to pay at the restaurants, cafeterias or snack vending machines run by Student Services Erlangen-Nürnberg. More information is available on the Student Services website. You can also use the FAUcard to pay at FAU photocopiers.
You cannot use the FAUcard to pay in the cafeterias and Palmeria at Uni-Klinikum Erlangen.
The FAUcard is also your library card for the University Library Erlangen-Nürnberg. Your ‘UB ID’ which you need to borrow books from the library is printed on the back of your FAUcard.
How can I activate my library card for use?
- Log in at www.idm.fau.de.
- In the upper menu bar, click on ‘Requests/tasks’.
- Click on ‘Library account activation’ and follow the instructions.
Please note that your FAUcard will only be activated for the library on the following working day (or in some exceptional cases the working day after that).
Who should I talk to if I have questions regarding the library function?
If you have any questions regarding the library card function of the FAUcard, please contact the University Library infodesk directly.
Staff ID card
You can use your FAUcard as a staff ID card if you have your period of employment stamped on the card at one of the validation stations. You can then use the card to prove that you are a member of FAU, for example to benefit from discounted rates offered to FAU employees. More information can be found on the website of the FAU General Staff Council.
Validation stations can be found at the following locations:
Erlangen town centre:
- Kollegienhaus, Universitätsstraße 15, entrance hall
- University Library (new building), Schuhstraße 1a, first floor
- Seminar building of the Faculty of Humanities, Social Sciences, and Theology, Bismarckstraße 1, corridor next to main door (2 machines, one of which is suitable for wheelchair access)
- Student Records Office, Halbmondstraße 6, corridor on ground floor
Erlangen southern campus:
- Building housing the cafeteria, lecture hall and library, Erwin Rommel Straße 60, opposite the Student Service Centre at the Faculty of Engineering
Nuremberg: School of Business, Economics and Society
- Lange Gasse 20, old building, basement (wheelchair access)
- Lange Gasse 20, old building, ground floor
Nuremberg, Regensburger Straße campus
- Auditorium building, Regensburger Straße 160, ground floor
I am new to FAU and need an FAUcard
The blue staff card
The following groups of persons are eligible to receive an FAUcard for staff:
- Civil servants and employees currently entered in the VIVA HR management system
- Civil servants and employees who are on leave of absence or have been seconded
- Research assistants (wissenschaftliche Hilfskräfte), student research assistants (studentische Hilfskräfte) and tariff-based assistants (Tarif-Hilfskräfte)
- Doctoral candidates registered with the FAU Graduate Centre
- Seconded teachers currently registered as employed in the VIVA HR management system.
Your FAUcard is sent to you by post within a few days of activating your FAU identity management system (IdM) login.
How to receive your blue staff card:
- Go to one of the RRZE service desks. There you will be given the login credentials for the FAU identity management system (IdM).
- Use these details to log in at www.idm.fau.de.
- Follow the instructions.
- Check your personal details. You can change any academic titles or degrees yourself, please contact the HR department if any changes need to be made to your first or last names. You can upload a passport photo if you would like a photo on your FAUcard.
- Approve data for printing. Changes can now no longer be made to the card.
Please note exceptions:
Are you a visiting scientist, visiting lecturer, lecturer, honorary professor, Privatdozent, adjunct professor, retired professor, research associate at Universitätsklinikum Erlangen, scholarship holder, intern or employee of an organisation with which FAU has signed a cooperation agreement, or are you completing a habilitation at FAU? If so, you need to have an application for an IdM login for FAU completed in advance by your organisation.
The green FAUcard for other FAU staff and guests
If you are a…
- retired professor
- adjunct professor
- honorary professor
you will receive an FAUcard for guests once you have collected your login credentials for the identity management system (IdM) from one of the RRZE service desks and applied for an FAUcard via the IdM.
Please note exceptions:
If you are a
- visiting scientist
- scholarship holder
- visiting lecturer
- doctoral candidate
you need to have an application for an IdM login for FAU completed by your organisation. Please bring your ID with you. This is required before you can be granted access to the FAU identity management system. Your FAUcard can be issued as soon as your data has been entered.
If you are a research associate at Universitätsklinikum Erlangen, please submit your personal details to the human resources department of Universitätsklinikum so the data can be transmitted to IDM (a signature on a form is required).
You need a new FAUcard?
I’ve lost my FAUcard
Ordering a replacement card
You can order a new FAUcard via the FAU Identity Management System (IdM) if it has been lost or stolen or if it is damaged. If you can prove that you have reported the theft, you will not be charged 15 euros for a new card. All further information is available in the IdM:
1. Log in at www.idm.fau.de.
2. In the upper menu bar, click on ‘Requests/tasks’.
3. Apply for a new FAUcard (‘Replace FAUcard’)
If you can’t find your FAUcard, you should block your FAUcard in the IdM portal.
You will receive a new UB ID for OPAC/catalogue at the University Library if your FAUCard has been lost or stolen.
Changing the name on your FAUcard
If your name has changed, you can apply online for a new FAUcard. If your name has changed, it is important that you first inform the Student Records Office at FAU of the change. Once the new name has been entered in the system you can apply via the identity management system (IdM) for an FAUcard with your new name.
What to do:
- Ask the Student Records Office at FAU to enter your new name in the system.
- Log in at www.idm.fau.de and click on ‘Requests/tasks’.
- Click on ‘Replace FAUcard’ and follow the instructions.
If you apply for a new card via the identity management system (IdM) as described, it can take up to 14 days until you receive your new FAUcard. Please check that the address you have given in the IdM system is correct!
Changing photo on FAUcard
If you would like to replace the photo on your FAUcard you can apply online for a new FAUcard. First upload your picture into the identity management system (IdM) and then apply for a replacement card. You will be charged 15 euros.
- Log in at www.idm.fau.de and click on ‘Self Service’.
- Click on ‘Settings/profile picture’ and upload your (new) photo.
- Click on ‘Requests/tasks’.
- Click on ‘Replace FAUcard’ and follow the instructions.
If you apply for a new card via the identity management system (IdM) as described and pay by bank transfer, it can take up to 14 days until you receive your new FAUcard (account data on the right). Please check that the address you have given in the IdM system is correct!
Do I have to return my FAUcard when I am no longer employed by the University?
The FAUcard is the property of Friedrich-Alexander-Universität Erlangen-Nürnberg. Please return your FAUcard to the FAUcard Service Office by post or in person once your employment ends.
Any remaining credit on the card can only be reimbursed before returning the card and only by Student Services Erlangen-Nürnberg.
The location and opening hours of the main cashier’s offices are listed on the Student Services website.
The functions of the FAUcard involve the collection, processing and use of personal data in automated processes. The University Data Protection Officer was consulted from the start of the FAUcard implementation in accordance with the legislation of the Bavarian Data Protection Act (Bayerisches Datenschutzgesetz) and has approved the technical specification for both the student and staff FAUcards with respect to data protection legislation.
All data collected, processed and used are only used in the production and administration of the FAUcard or to support the usage of its functions. Data are only transferred to other functional departments (Student Services, the University Library, access control management) in so far as this is necessary to fulfil a defined purpose.
The following information is printed visibly on the FAUcard:
- FAU ID (unique identifier of the card holder in the FAU IdM system)
- CHIP ID (identifying number of the card’s chip)
- Surname, given name, photograph (optional for the staff FAUcard) and student registration number (student FAUcard), allowing the card holder to be identified.
- Period of validity during which the card may be used as an ID card (optional for FAU staff)
- Library number as a bar code and in numerals (=identifying attribute of the card holder for the library system)
- The following attributes are stored on the FAUcard’s chip:
General attributes (readable by all authorized reading devices):
- CHIP ID
For Student Services payment functions (only readable by Student Services reading devices):
- User group (student, employee, guest)
- Balance of digital wallet
- Period of validity
- Number of digital wallet
- Version of digital wallet
- Wallet status active/blocked
- Tokens for discounts
For the University Library card function (only readable by library reading devices):
- Library number
- If applicable, number of rented locker (planned but not yet in use)
For electronic access control (only readable by SIPORT reading devices):
- Siport ID number
- Siport ID version
- Period of validity
- Offline access rights
For electronic time tracking (only FAU staff: no separate attribute; AIDA reading devices only read CHIP ID).
The responsible bodies only have access to the data required to carry out their respective tasks. Data is not collected centrally and are there no plans to do so.
Thanks to this and the use of a so-called random ID (= randomly generated ID when card is read by unknown reading device), no user or movement profiles can be created.
In most cases FAU commissions an external service provider specialising in such processes with issuing and distributing the FAUcard. This service provider is obligated to comply with data protection regulations when processing the data (restriction to specific purpose, deletion of data after distribution).
Should an exchange of data between several bodies become necessary in special cases such as for the prevention of unauthorized use of the card, this will only occur after notification of and under constant supervision by the Data Protection Officer.
The data stored on the card’s chip are encrypted with a key length of 128 bit (AES process). This provides comprehensive protection against unauthorized data access according to the current state of technology.
Additionally all data exchanged between the card and reading devices are encrypted so as to make them unreadable to unauthorized persons.
All online components of the system (online payment and withdrawal terminals, validation stations, etc.) are operated in an especially secured network (VLAN).
Service agreement on FAUcard for employees
To protect the interests of staff and the department in which they are employed, FAU, represented by the President and the Chancellor, and its General Staff Council (GPR), represented by its Chairs, have concluded an agreement regarding the introduction and usage of the staff FAUcard according to Section 73(1)(1) with reference to Section 75a(1)(1) of the Bavarian Employee Representation Act (Bayerisches Personenvertretungsgesetz, BayPVG). The text can be found in the administration guide of the University Administration under the heading Agreements.